Taking care of your skin isn’t just one of the easiest ways to always look your best. It’s also a vital body organ that needs to be protected and valued in the same fashion as the heart, lungs or brain. No matter your age, there’s always plenty that you can do to keep your skin in top condition. Here we take a look at the products, routines and lifestyle choices that stand the best chance of keeping your skin looking good and working well. Here are our easy skin care tips for guys.
Cleanliness without harshness
The first of our skin care tips for guys is cleansing. Keeping skin clean is clearly a priority. Not only does dirt and grime provide a breeding ground for bacteria, but dirt can also block pores and upset the delicate skin balance. For the face, a splash of warm water in the morning can be all that’s needed to freshen up for the day. In the evening, use a gentle cleanser to remove the grime and polluting particles which have built up during the day. We suggest using a cleanser rather than soap, as it is less harsh. Although traditional soap removes dirt wonderfully well. It also strips the skin of its natural oils, which, over time, can over-stimulate the skin to produce excess oil, resulting in greasiness. A cleanser is also ideal for all-over use, resulting in clean skin without drying or irritation.
Smooth shaving that protects your skin
If you’re going to shave, giving your face a wash with warm water is a good way to soften the hair follicles prior to applying a nurturing cream. Shaving cream, rather than foam, makes it easier for the razor to glide across the skin. This gives a closer, smoother shave and reduces the amount of skin trauma. One or two sharp blades in the razor should give a thorough result: multi-blade razors can result in an increase in skin irritation, ingrowing hairs and the dreaded red bumps!
Complete your shave with a moisturising, protective balm. Avoid alcohol-based, astringent products which, whilst antiseptic, increase the risk of dry, flaking skin. These same basic principles also apply to shaving or trimming anywhere else on the body: shave clean skin using suitable shaving cream. Afterwards, apply a protective, nourishing balm that will protect skin from infection at the same time as replenishing nutrients and moisture.
Moisturise and protect
Even well-balanced skin can become dry and inflamed due to circumstances which are often unavoidable: windy, hot or dry weather; soap; pollutants from traffic; a dry atmosphere (often due to air conditioning or central heating); or sun exposure can all lead to skin dehydration. Dehydrated skin is more prone to oil imbalances, flaking, redness, irritation and itching. A replenishing product is necessary to rehydrate the skin, as well as protect it from further damage as far as possible.
The most suitable type of moisturiser for your skin depends on its type. Most products are formulated for particular skin types, so select one that matches your needs. Remember that skin can change over time, so you may need to change moisturiser periodically. A facial moisturiser should also contain a sunscreen (SPF30 or above). As even incidental sun exposure, over time, can cause considerable skin damage.
Botanical extracts that aid men’s skincare
Certain plant extracts and vitamins have been scientifically proven to have a positive effect on skin health. We suggest that you look out for them when considering the best products to buy. This will complement your skincare routine. It’s also worth noting that selecting a good natural skin care product is as much about what it doesn’t contain rather than what it does! Oxybenzone, triclosan, formaldehyde, parabens and coal tar are amongst the damaging compounds that are found all too often in synthetic skin care products. If you want moisturisers, shaving balms, washes and cleansers that will do your skin good, some of the plant extracts to look out for include:
- Aloe vera: a proven anti-bacterial, aloe vera also promotes healing and may help to prevent wrinkles.
- Jojoba oil: anti-inflammatory and soothing, jojoba oil may improve the symptoms of acne and relieve dry, itchy skin problems. It also contains Vitamin B and E complexes, potentially assisting with skin healing and rejuvenation.
- Retinol: a natural derivative of Vitamin A, studies show that retinol is a powerful anti-ageing compound that, if used regularly, can reduce the appearance of wrinkles as well as boost skin health.
- Algae extracts: algae is packed with compounds that help heal, nourish and protect the skin. From reducing redness and inflammation through to protecting against oxidative damage, algae extract is proven to support skin health.
- Calendula extract: shown to protect the skin from the damaging effects of free radicals (oxidative stress), calendula is also proven to be an anti-inflammatory and may assist in protecting the skin from sun-related damage.
This is by no means an exclusive list! As knowledge advances on the healing power of plants. Dozens of plant extracts are being identified as potentially powerful aids to good skin health.
Lifestyle choices that can really make a difference
Although the right men’s skincare products can and do make a positive difference to skin health. A sensible lifestyle is also absolutely critical. To grow good skin from the inside, we recommend:
- Drinking plenty of water to aid bodily hydration, including sufficient moisture for the skin.
- Wearing sunscreen and keeping out of the sun. As well as sunscreen, a hat which shades the face is a good investment.
- Eating a balanced diet, with a particular focus on skin-friendly foods such as lean protein, vegetables, fruit, nuts and seeds.
- Exercising regularly: exercise improves circulation, helping to remove skin impurities and delivering a good supply of nutrients.
- Getting sufficient sleep: skin healing and rejuvenation takes place during sleep!
- Avoiding alcohol.
Natural skincare is all about taking care of the largest organ in the body! By investing in your skin through a regular skincare routine and carefully chosen products. You’re not only slowing down the signs of ageing, you’re also taking care of your health.
If you’d like more information about men’s skincare and skin care tips for guys just take a look around our website!